St. Mary’s Church | Finedon
26th. :- Holy Eucharist @ 8:00 a.m. | Parish Eucharist @ 9:30 a.m.
3rd. :- Holy Eucharist @ 8:00 a.m. | Parish Eucharist @ 9:30 a.m. | Evensong @ 6:00 p.m.
10th. :- Holy Eucharist @ 8:00 a.m. | Parish Eucharist @ 9:30 a.m.
17th. :- Holy Eucharist @ 8:00 a.m. | Parish Eucharist @ 9:30 a.m.
24th. :- Holy Eucharist @ 8:00 a.m. | Parish Eucharist @ 9:30 a.m.
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, is a mid-14th-century church with an aisled and cloistered nave of four bays. St. Mary’s is, by hundreds of years, older than any other building in Finedon, bearing in mind Finedon’s apparent importance, as old as it is, this present church of ours is not Finedon’s first. The ironstone gravestone that now stands near the font, which bears a carving of a cross within a circled, is thought by some to be Saxon, therefore it seems probable that there was a Saxon church here.
Opinion varies as to the date of construction of Finedon’s present church. The architectural style was prevalent between 1272 and 1377. Suffice it to say that the present building dates from the fourteenth century.
The tower houses a ring of eight bells in the key of D with the tenor weighing just over 21 hundredweight (about 1.1 tonnes). The church also houses an organ which was probably originally built for St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in 1704. It was installed in 1717, rebuilt in 1872, and restored in 1960, and it retains its tracker action.